Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Resolutions


.
"...Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith.." -Heb. 12:1,2a




It's that time of the year again when people make their resolutions, and make an attempt to lose those unwanted pounds. Gyms all across America are filled with people eager to lose weight, only to give up in a few short lived months. In Hebrews. 12:1 we are exhorted to "lay aside every weight", this is different from the "sin" mentioned next. Athletes in Paul's day and ours would strip away every piece of unnecessary clothing before competing in a race. In this case the Hebrews weight was legalism. The Hebrews were weighted down by the Levitical system that was impeding them to run the race without encumbrance. Their "sin" was refusing to leave this system and to turn to the perfect sacrifice, Jesus Christ Himself.. Their "sin" therefore was one of unbelief.

As application to our own souls, what weight do we need to lay aside? What encumbrances us from running the race with endurance? "Endurance" here means to run with determination regardless of many temptations to slow us down and to have us quit and give up. I have come up with my own resolutions to help me to run this race with endurance, and like an athlete I have a deliberate strategy to run this race, to lay aside every weight that might impede me. I wrote some of these resolutions about two years ago, while on a Brazil mission trip. I wrestled with whether or not, if I should post these, lest it should look like I am making my self out to be real spiritual guy. I fall short . I boast only in Jesus Christ, who I rely upon, by His grace to run this race as far as these resolutions are according to His will. I stand upon the shoulders of Jonathan Edward's. I am only a secondary learner, therefore I have used Jonathan Edward's resolutions as a guide line. I have adopted some of his, and changed some of his wording to fit mine. I am a real stickler for organization and order, so I have organized my life in seven categories. Making resolutions in each category. May you the reader be encouraged and edified to make resolutions of your own. Perhaps you can pray for me as to be able, by God's grace to run the race with vigor, and be unencumbered with unnecessary weight. May God use these resolutions to glorify Himself.

Spiritual
1. Resolved, to love God with an increasing measure of vigor, as to love God with all my mind (intellect) so to have God's thought after Him.
2. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.
3. Resolved, to live in the fear of the Lord, as the prerequisite for increasing in knowledge.
4. Resolved, to take captive all thoughts to the obedience of Christ.
5. Resolved, to put to death ( mortify) sin in me, and my members, by the Spirit, through the word.
6. Resolved, to live as to make the most of every opportunity, redeeming the time.
7. Resolved, to live confidently in God's providential care, not being afraid to live boldly.
8. Resolved, to never waste one moment of time , but to improve upon time, to make it the most profitable.
9. Resolved, to make much of God
10. Resolved, to live as to have no regrets, when I come to die.
11. Resolved, to think much of the day when I shall give an account of my life, before God.
12. Resolved, to live daily in repentance, asking God to search my heart, confessing my sins of omission and my sins of commission.
13. Resolved, to set my mind on things above, on the eternalities of being forever with the one I love
14. Resolved, as to pray without ceasing, believing that God is faithful to answer. That in hope, by faith, God will grant whatever is asked in His will.
15. Resolved, to preach the gospel to my own soul. And trust God to enable me to keep these resolutions, asking Him for His amazing efficacious grace to be bestowed upon me, for His glory alone.
16. Resolved, as to live to do all, to the glory of God, and to enjoy Him now and forever.

Social/Church
17. Resolved, to evangelize, to tell at least one person per day, of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
18. Resolved, to speak that which is only to edify, encourage, and/or is of necessity.
19. Resolved, to never speak evil of anyone, (except if of necessity), but rather disdain evil..
20. Resolved, to never take revenge, but to pray for love to be shed abroad in my heart for my enemies, remembering that it is God who is the revenger.
21. Resolved, not to gossip nor be the hearer of it, thus giving wood to fire.
22. Resolved, to imitate the good I see in others; first to give thanks to God, then to ask God's help to work this good thing in me.
23. Resolved, when seeing sin in others; first to see my own vileness, and helpless estate if grace had not been worked in me. To ask God to search my own heart, if this sin be found in me.If so, readily confess this sin, entreat God for His mercy, and grace, to abhor this sin in me, and to uproot it.
24. Resolved, to strive when speaking of God and heavenly things to be of a happy delightful spirit, and entreat God's help to have a countenance that matches the truth spoken of.
25. Resolved, to have a serious sober mind when speaking of the unregenerate, of the fires of hell, and of the judgment to come.
26. Resolved, to speak with clarity, precision, and accuracy.
27. Resolved, to be hospitable, kind, tenderhearted toward all, and treat the household of faith even better.

Family
28. Resolved, to honor my mother: and show her, the utmost respect, tenderness and care.
29. Resolved, to keep in touch , with my siblings through writing and calling.
30. Resolved, to prepare by all means, for the high estate of my own marriage (Lord willing) by prayers offered to God: by the reading of good relatable books, and by the careful observation of other marriages. So as to learn what wisdom there might be to emulate.
31. Resolved, to pray for my future wife (Lord willing) for her preparation, and sanctification.
32. Resolved, as to live in such a way that my future wife would be happy and content if she could see me now, in private.
33. Resolved, as to live in such a way, that if my future children (Lord willing), were to view me now, that it would be the most profitable to them if they were to imitate me.

Education
34. Resolved, to study the sacred scriptures so regularly, and faithfully that I grow in a comprehensible fashion of the full counsel of God.
35. Resolved, to grow in a working knowledge of words, because God is a communicator, and I communicate God to a lost world. Thus writing, and spelling to the glory of God.
36. Resolved, to store up knowledge as to have wisdom applicable.
37. Resolved, to grow in knowledge of the world about me. As to be able to understand and explain the functionary created order, as to give all praise and glory to God.
38. Resolved, to understand the times I live in, so I know how I ought to (live) do.(1 Chronicles 12:32). So I can be able to recognize " worldview bias"-the fundamental assumptions of those around me.
39. Resolved, to be equip to answer the one, who asks for the hope that is in me, and to answer the fool according to his folly.

Financial
40. Resolved, as to manage the assets God has entrusted me with. (Psalm 24:1)
41. Resolved, to hold on to material gain with a loose hand.
42. Resolved, to be a generous cheerful giver. (Acts 20:35)
43. Resolved, to remain debt free, always paying all bills on due date or before.
44. Resolved, to give to who is in need, when it is within my power to give it.

Occupation
45. Resolved, to work diligently, heartily, joyfully, according to the power and strength at work in me by His Spirit.
46. Resolved, to work not as unto man, but unto God.
47. Resolved, to cherish a good name above that of silver and gold.
48. Resolved, to strive for excellence in all that I do, to the glory of God.
49. Resolved, to be honest in all work to all people.

Physical
50. Resolved, to eat and drink to the glory of God. And to give thanks to God for His bountiful provision
51. Resolved, to exercise physically regularly, and to remember bodily exercise does profit little.
52. Resolved, to remember that I am fearfully and wonderfully made, by God for God.
53. Resolved, to remember my Body belongs to the Lord, that I have been bought, and purchased, thus to glorify God with my body.
54. Resolved, to keep myself pure, not giving myself to bodily gratification nor to fornication
55. Resolved, to dress modestly, and not to draw attention on purpose, by the dressing of a little amount of clothing, nor bizarre attire.
56. Resolved, to realize that someday my body will belong to my wife, thus I can honor her now; by keeping pure, by keeping in shape, and by making every endeavor to look my best.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julianne said...

Where did your evangelism post go???

7:29 PM  
Blogger Daniel Mann said...

Julianne: Good question-I lost the post and found the post.

Natasha: Thank you for leaving a comment. Yes, lots of work needs to be done in me, but it is God who works the "will"- the desire and it is God who gives me the power to do it. May God do a great work in you as well. For God alone is faithful to complete the work in you that He has started. All for His glory.
All praise be to His wonderful name. Amen

11:32 PM  
Blogger carson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home