Thursday, December 15, 2005

God in not safe

" Who is Aslan?" asked Susan.
"Aslan?" said Mr. Beaver, " Why don't you know , He's the king..."
"Is -is he a man?" asked Lucy.

"Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-beyond-the-sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion-the Lion, the great Lion."

"Ooh!" said Susan. "I'd thought he was a man. Is he-quite safe? I shall feel
rather nervous about meeting a lion."

""That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs.Beaver, " if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're neither
braver than most or else just silly."

"Then He isn't safe? " said Lucy.

" Safe?" said Mr. Beaver. " Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you?
Who said anything about safe? ' Course he isn't safe. But he's good.
He's the King, I tell you."

later toward the end of the movie Lucy says... He (Aslan) is not tamable, but he is good.
Now, I had watched the movie with a group of friends Saturday night. I thought it was a pretty good movie. I don't go to movies much . Usually when I do I have to think back 'ok what movie did I watch last?' It takes a couple minutes to think what it was. I have gotten into some discussion on my friend ( Julianne's) blog www.sempersolideogloria.blogspot.com It appears that C.S. Lewis (Jack) did not intend "The Chronicles of Narnia" to be taken as an allegory, however I do like the line, "He is not tamable, but he is good. or how it's put the other way, He is not safe, but he is good. I do think it is a good description of Jesus Himself. A few years back I read a book called "God is not safe" good book. It should remind us that God is sovereign. And as My header declares from a verse that God does as He pleases. We toy not with God. God is a consuming fire. God is not at are beck and call. He answers to no one, but to Himself within the triune Godhead. If God were only sovereign and not good, there would be no point in worshiping Him. We could not trust Him, and we would be consumed in His fierce anger. O but He is good and He lavishes His goodness upon us . Knowing that He is both sovereign and good is comfort to our souls. Knowing he has both the power and the will to work all things for our good.

16 Comments:

Blogger Brian Sporer said...

Leave it to beavers to say something profound.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Daniel Mann said...

'Leave it to beaver' was a great show, he was always profound.

Thanks for leaving the comment.I am kind'a of a lone ranger here.

read Jack's 'Pilgrim's regress' some time and tell me what you think of it.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Julianne said...

I still read your blog, Daniel. :)

Good post. I was just talking to someone yesterday about how we can take comfort in God's sovereignty because we are loved by God. God is totally in control and He loves us and does what is best for us (even if we think it is not good)....

I thought the whole point of Lewis not intending Narnia to be an allegory is interesting. Didn't Lewis say that if there was such a place like Narnia, that the "christ" would be somewhat like Aslan, in his mind? Very interesting.

What exactly is an allegory? It seems to me that Lewis' writingas take on an analogical form.

2:07 PM  
Blogger stephen said...

Even if C.S Lewis did not mean for it to be an allegory, I think that is what it really morphed into. There are so many comparisons. But even if it wasn't meant to be an allegory, it is sure a darn good story.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Rufus the Great said...

Dan,
Nice post, although I hate to tell you that "Man" is spelled with only 1 "N."

8:02 AM  
Blogger Julianne said...

Daniel,

My favorite line is, "When you think of toothpaste, you think of Crest and when you think of tires you think of Firestone. So when you think of clean windows you think of Pane-Less."

Love it. Nice exposure and good picture!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Daniel Mann said...

yes Rufus, but mann is spelled with two "n's" ,and only man is spelled with one 'n'. And I don't want to be half a man, but a whole mann.But hey man, thanks for paying attention, man!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Daniel Mann said...

Julianne: My favorite line is Daniel Mann.
Ha! I 'quack' myself up.

you said-'nice exposure'- it was very cold out. 'good picture'- thank goodness for make-up, air brushing, and touch-ups. I was worried that all my make-up would run due to all the lighting.

Thank you for all the help, you have given me to get the word out.

Speaking about getting the word out, did you receive your order of bibles yet? Did you pass them all out?

4:59 PM  
Blogger Julianne said...

You picked the perfect day for shooting. No rain...so your makeup won't run.

Yes, I just got the Bibles today...did I tell you I ordered them? I'm going to put them in the designated places and pass them out at the college.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Daniel Mann said...

Julianne: kool you got the bibles. No, you didn't tell me you ordered them, a little birdy told me; guess who?

7:16 PM  
Blogger Julianne said...

Must be Rick DeVoss. I got a nice email from him a couple weeks ago.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Julianne said...

ps-I hate to tell you, but "kool" is spelled with a "C."
:)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Julianne said...

Just to let you know, this post has gotten the most comments on your blog, with 46% of them being from me. Congrats!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Daniel Mann said...

Yes you win! Rick it was. He calls me every week. I think he calls me for the express reason to provoke me unto jealously. He tells me of all the lectures he gets the priviledge to attend. John Frame has led worship at the Church, that Rick and his family attend. I miss Rick. Rick and his family are kool!

Go go down to your local mini mart and request some kool cigarettes.(Well don't Yuck!!!) Or go to Food4Less and pick up some Kool Aid. So what were you saying about kool? Cool,kool?

10:14 PM  
Blogger Daniel Mann said...

Julianne: Thanks for the congrats, thanks for making this happen, the other 46% of the comments are from me. We are tied now here on the comments on this post.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, this is me, guess who? i am 20 im a girl and im madly inlove with u... lol, i still do read ur blog

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home