Friday, December 02, 2005

Hymns

“A good hymn book is a wonderful companion to the Bible.” - Francis Schaeffer

God Moves in a Mysterious Way
God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform; He plants His footsteps in the sea And rides upon the storm.Deep in unfathomable mines Of never failing skill He treasures up His bright designs And works His sovereign will.Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take; The clouds ye so much dread Are big with mercy and shall break In blessings on your head.Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, But trust Him for His grace; Behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face.His purposes will ripen fast, Unfolding every hour; The bud may have a bitter taste, But sweet will be the flower.Blind unbelief is sure to err And scan His work in vain; God is His own interpreter, And He will
make it plain.
-William Cowper (1731-1800)

I cherish this line…"Behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face.”When providence seems to give me a cross I look for the smiling face of God’s grace to work for my good. Nothing can be against me when God works all things for my good even the frowning providence.

I have been working on my top ten list. Below is the list of my top ten favorite Hymns. This was very difficult to limit only to ten. My favorites have changed through out the years. These are not in any particular order.

#1) Rock of Ages
-Augustus Toplady

#2) A Mighty Fortress is Our God
-Martin Luther
(1529)

#3) Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
-Robert Robinson
(1758)

#4) Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
-Walter Chalmers Smith
(1867)

#5) God Moves in a Mysterious Way
-William Cowper
(1774)

#6) God, Be Merciful to Me
-From The Psalter, from Psalm 51:1-15
(1912)

#7) (And Can it be?) that I Should Gain
-Charles Wesley
(1707-1788)

#8) O Worship the King
–Sir Robert Grant
(1833)

#9) Fairest Lord Jesus
-Munster Gesangbuch
(1677)

#10) When I survey the Wonderous Cross
-Isaac Watts
(1707)

Comments

1 Comments:

Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

Be Thou My Vision is my favorite. :-)

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home