Friday, June 24, 2005

Definite Atonement

" ...an atonement made for everybody; but then, their atonement is just this. They believe that Judas was atoned for just as much as Peter; they believe that the damned in hell were as much an object of Jesus Christ's satisfaction as the saved in heaven; and though they do not say it in proper words , yet they must mean it, for it is a fair inference, that in the case of multitudes, Christ died in vain for he died for them all, they say; yet so ineffectual was his dying for them, that although he died for them they are damned afterwards. Now, such an atonement I despise- I reject it. I may be called Antinomian or Calvinist for preaching a limited atonement; but I had rather believe a limited atonement that is efficacious for all men for whom it was intended, than an universal atonement that is not efficacious for anybody, except the will of man be joined with it. Why, my brethren, if we were only so far atoned for by the death of Christ that any one of us might afterwards save himself, Christ's atonement were not worth a farthing, for there is no man of us can save himself- no not under the gospel; for if I am to be saved by faith, if that faith is to be my own act, unassisted by the Holy Spirit, I am as unable to save myself by faith as to save myself by good works. And after all, though men call this a limited atonement, it is as effectual as their own fallacious and rotten redemptions can pretend to be. But do you know the limit of it? Christ has bought a "multitude that no man can number." The limit of it is just this: He has died for sinners; whoever in this congregation inwardly and sorrowfully knows himself to be a sinner, Christ died for him; whoever seeks Christ, shall know that Christ died for him; for our sense of need of Christ, and our seeking after Christ, are infallible proofs that Christ died for us. And, mark, here is something substantial. The Arminian says Christ died for him; and then, poor man, he has but small consolation there from, for he says, "Ah! Christ died for me; that does not proves much. It only proves I may be saved if I mind what I am after. I may perhaps forget myself; I may run into sin, and I may perish. Christ has done a good deal for me, but not quite enough, unless I do something." But the man who receives the Bible as it is, he says, "Christ died for me, then my eternal life is sure." (Charles Haddon Spurgeon, New Park Street Pulpit, 1858, pp 70-1))

And some have the nerve to say that Charles Haddon Spurgeon was not a Calvinist. That he did not believe in what has been called limited atonement, (also called definite atonement) or particular redemption. Don't ever buy it. I have a 22 volume set of Spurgeon, and many other books of his. I like to try to read at least some Spurgeon each day. Once upon a time; it was a wish of mine to read all his works. Now, I know, that wish was a bit unrealistic. However, of all the reading I have read of his, so far, It seems to me that one of his favorite doctrines; if not his favorite doctrine was limited or what I like to call it, definite atonement. I too have fallen deeply in love with this Awesome doctrine, that Christ Jesus died for me. He loved me and died for me.
Let us speak and preach the truth. He died for his own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home