Monday, December 26, 2005


Fervent Desire
Augustus Toplady
Father, I want a thankful heart,
I want to taste how good Thou art.
To plunge me in Thy mercy's sea,
And comprehend Thy love to me-
The length, and depth, and breadth, and height
Of love divinely infinite.
Jesus, my great High Priest above.
My friend before the throne of love!
If now for me prevails Thy prayer,
If now I find Thee pleading there,
Hear, and my weak pertitions join,
Almighty Advocate, to Thine.


O sovereign Love, to Thee I cry,
Give me Thyself, or else I die;
Save me from death, from hell set free,
Death, hell, are but the want of Thee;
My life, my crown, my heaven Thou art!
Oh, may I find Thee in my heart!

Toplady, Augustus. The Worrks of Augustus Toplady,
London: J. Chidley, 1837,p. 914.
Can I Turn you on to the Puritans?

Can I encourage you to check out some Puritan literature? I don't know about you, but I cherish good poetry. Here in this book "Worthy is the Lamb" is some of the best, Christ centered, poetry. Tomorrow I will give you 10 reasons of my own , Why I think you should read the Puritans.

Books > Puritan and Reformed Writings > Works of Puritan and Reformed Authors > Worthy is the Lamb Author: Maureen BradleyEdited by: Don KistlerPublisher: Soli Deo Gloria You won't want to miss this inspiring collection of Puritan poetry! Like Valley of Vision, this volume will not only serve as a source of refreshment and encouragement for your spiritual life, it will help you help others when you can’t find the words

5 Comments:

Blogger Julianne said...

Yes, you can turn me on to the Puritans. You already have. They're great!

The word I was trying to think of at church is "alligience." Derek Webb says in one of his *new* songs, "alligience to God and God alone." That is great, but God has established earthly authorities as well. Is Webb throwing these out???

11:41 AM  
Blogger Daniel Mann said...

Carson and I are going to the mall right now to get that Derek Webb cd . If availible. I will check out what your talking about, then I will tell you what I think (surprise!!!) I see that you are on line right now ;-)
Don't be to bored, cause the rain.
God bless you

4:08 PM  
Blogger Daniel Mann said...

wow! I turn you on to the Puritans.
I can die now. I accomplished a great task. Now, If only if it were multiplied by 1000.
Three things that get me real excited

1) leading others to Christ.

2) seeing others understanding the doctrines of grace and switching over to embrace Calvinism.

3) getting others turned on to good (Puritan) literature.


Yes, I got Derek Webb's CD I have been listening to it. I see nothing wrong with his song about alligience to God or as Derek says
"my first alligience is to a king and a kingdom". In another song he writes that "the goverment is upon His shoulders". This phrase speaks about all authority being ordained of God. So rest easy now.

Good question though. I am not crazy about song #7 "My enemies are like me". I think it has many flaws in it. To many to post at this moment. Plus I don't know if you want to hear my opinion.

Anyhow, keep reading those dead yet alive, potent, profound, prolific Puritans.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading your 10 reasons for reading the puritans. That is poetry with the glory of Christ I love it.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Daniel Mann said...

I think Ana you have a place(means) to borrow books from already. It's a good thing that I don't work there, or I would not be working there, if you know what I mean.
I have been full of riddles lately. Maybe it's the Riddalen. Maybe I have had to much time off from work, naaaa!!! But there is never enough time to read good books.You know what I mean?

"Books are my utopia" Mark Twain

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home