Saturday, February 11, 2006

What sayest thou?

Theological question


Does the bible teach negative causation?


Let me explain, a few years ago a missionary came to my church and said that we are responsible for the souls of men, that people are going to hell, because we are not evangelism them. Now this dear missionary man is a Pentecostal, at least I gathered that, from many other things he was propagating. My pastor, the following Sunday, abrogated some of the issues and cleared up some of the false teaching this missionary had promoted. Including the belief that we are the reason that some go to hell. Of course people don't go to hell because of us, rather because of their own sin, they are headed there already; therefore that is why they, and all of us, need the gospel; namely Jesus Christ Himself, for Christ alone too reconcile us to God.

However this missionary got me to thinking. We Calvinist have no problem believing that we can be the means (positive causation) to save some. How come we do not believe that we might be the means (negative causation) to keep others from salvation, or that the neglect of caring out the great commission, might fulfill God's negative decrees?

I have many more thoughts on the subject, and many scriptures I could of cited, but I want to hear your thoughts on the matter. Please remain biblical, and please don't use humanistic thinking. But let me hear from you. I will be out of town for a few days, some times my lap top does not work at the motel I stay at. So I will answer back from your comments as soon as I can. Again the question is " Does the bible teach negative causation?"

8 Comments:

Blogger Mickey Sheu said...

Hello, I've been reading your blog on and off.

In short:I believe that as God uses us as means to achieve his ends in bringing the elect to maturity, it also uses us as a means to his ends in hardening the reprobate so that on the last day his glory may be known to the elect.

Two ways we do this:

1) Through the teaching of the true gospel the reprobate are hardened.

2 Corinthians 2:

15For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?

2) Through the teaching of a false gospel the reprobate are drawn astray:

1 Timothy 4 comes to mind:

1Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, 2through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, 3who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

As does Hebrews 12

14Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. 15See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no "root of bitterness" springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled;

With regards to being people that bring a message of death

Either way, I would deny that I can cause an elect to become non-elect or vice versa.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Correy said...

No It does not.

Jesus said..
My Sheep hear my voice I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life and no one can snatch them out of my hands.

To think that Jesus has his hands tied behind his back and people are being lost because you are not evangalising is just a stupid argument.

Salvation is a complete work. He saves those whom he wills to the uttermost (Hebrews) Not losing one.

It is a privliage rather then a right that the Lord uses the preaching of the gospel to save sinners.

He has prepared beforehand goodworks so that we shall walk in them.

The good work of preaching the gospel we do for he has prepared in advance down to every detail. Then he causes all these things to happen after his will. After all he can use a donkey to speak if he so wishes.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need it.

1:11 PM  
Blogger carson said...

POST SOMETHING ELSE!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Brian Sporer said...

How many comments does a person have to leave before it becomes the commenter's blog? Just a question.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Brian Sporer said...

Because I think you are getting close Ana.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, my love Daniel's been busy, he got sick... :( he's still recovering at the moment i am even very sad i cant be there for him ryt now, coz i live so very far away...

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home